10 May 2007

What would you do?

Today, as usual, I spent my short lunch running errands. Birthdays coming up, among other things! So I ran to the department store where I still have enough left on my credit card to buy something small! While browsing and rejecting everything under the sun, a woman came up to me. She was holding the cutest baby, so you all know what I was looking at! Anyway, she says to me "Mam, I want to thank you for all you do for our country". I said you are welcome and thank you for taking the time to tell me that. I go to shake her hand and she is putting money into my hand. She says "please let me help pay for some of your purchases today, God is telling me to do this." I said to her that her thank you meant the whole world and that her money wasn't necessary. She had tears in her eyes as she said "please let me do this". So I said thank you, and I carried it with me while I walked slowly trying to process it. I felt her gratitude, and I appreciated it more than you will ever know. Every "thank you" feels like the first and I have been doing this for 14 years now. That's a lot of thank you's. So though I am the poor, single momma of the world's greatest babies, always bordering close to not making it, and sometimes not thinking I can, I never know what to do in those situations. Even when it is a kind person offering to buy my lunch.
It leaves a great feeling in my heart, and makes those months away from my babies not as bad, and makes the long hours and the sweat worth it, just to know you are appreciated. But isn't that the same for everyone in everything we do?
So did I handle it okay? What would you have done?
Don't get it wrong. I can honestly say that every thank you is worth the few seconds it takes to say it, and I know that among my fellow military friends, it is appreciated by all. I just need to know if I handled it well, and now that I am thinking about it more, I just needed a way to share that this awesome woman came up to me today and Blessed me with enough money to take the babies to a movie or something this weekend.

6 comments:

Spider said...

I guess if someone were being very giving, it would be rude to turn that person down, as long as the gift had no strings attached.

It all goes around, so then you would have a reason to pass it on to someone else.

AVIDINHA said...

sometimes god sends us people when we need them, whether we know it or not.

Rodrigo said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

Angie said...

It is truly amazing how God works isn't it. Always when I feel like the world is tumbling down on me someone reaches out their hand or I'm shown someone else that truly has it worse than I do and it makes me grateful for all I have.

Being a single mom is one of the hardest jobs there is trying to be mom/dad all wrapped up in one on one paycheck. I can only imagine how hard it is for you with being active duty too! Big hugs!

Owens Family Adventures said...

Since I know you as well as I do I can honestly say that you handle everything you do with great grace and style. It is wonderful that someone out there saw the "hero" that is Bec and wanted to do something for you. I think more people should!! You even did a stint in Iraq and had to leave your babies for a summer. You are one awesome woman and one I am very honored and glad to have found. There is no one who can see the sunny days like you can Bec. There is no one who can cuddle her kids like you can and there is no one who can plan an all girl sleepover like you. I miss you more than I can say.
all my love and hugs!!
dawn

Susie said...

How wonderful that someone recognized your service to our country. Perhaps she had a relative or friend who is overseas or had served and it was also a way of honoring them. As someone else said, if your circumstances change at some point, you can always "pay it forward"
For now enjoy it..
((hugs))