30 May 2007

Gotta Be

A story I forgot to share from this weekend... Saturday on the way to soccer a song came on the radio. Suddenly I was transported back 8 years (at least)! I looked at my baby girl in the back and told her I used to sing this song to her when she was a baby. I would dance around in the living room holding her in my arms and she would look at me with the whole world lit up in her eyes, and I knew that she loved and trusted me. Mostly I wanted these words to go all the way to her soul and carry her through, if I was not there to do it for her. How easily we pack these memories away, in places where we think we will never find them again. Of course I cried as I sang the song, and looked back at my baby girl, and it wasn't so much sadness as wondering if I have done enough in the last 11 years, or if I will do enough in the coming years to prepare her for this big old world and all it holds in it. If she will be strong on the inside, love who she is, and feel the confidence she so rightly deserves! Anyway, after all the boo-hooing, we were off to the soccer game, and of course, she gave me her shy smile, and in her eyes I could still see the whole world lit up in them! I suppose, with all of God's help, she will be just fine!
Here are the lyrics to the song:

You Gotta Be Lyrics
Artist(Band):Des'ree

Listen as your day unfolds,
challenge what the future holds
Try to keep your head up to the sky
Lovers they may cause you tears
Go ahead release your fears
Stand up and be counted,don't be shamed to cry
You gotta be..

Chourous:You gotta be bad,
you gotta be bold,
you gotta be wiser
You gotta be hard,
you gotta be tough,
you gotta be stronger
You gotta be cool,
you gotta be calm,
you gotta stay together.
All I know,
all I know
Love will save the day

Herald what your mother said
Read the books your father read
Try to solve the puzzles in your own sweet time
Some may have more cash than you
Others take a different view
My oh my,hey hey hey

Chourous

Time asks no questions, it goes on without you
Leaving you behind if you can't stand the pace
The world keeps on spinning, can't stop it if you tried to
The best part is danger staring you in the face

Remember Listen as your day unfolds,
challenge what the future holds
Try to keep your head up to the sky
Lovers they may cause you tears
Go ahead release your fears
my oh my,hey hey hey....

Chourous (2x)
Got to be bold.
Got to be bad
Got to be wise.
Not ever sad
Got to be hard.
Not too, too hard
All I know is,
love will save the day

Chourous (repeat till fade)

No comments: